[UR-WG] Comment on duration format for WallDuration andCpuDuration

Carl Wright wright at servicelevel.net
Wed Sep 20 13:45:54 CDT 2006

Folks:

I'm a normally quiet participant in your efforts. I support the idea of limiting duration units of measure to something that is translatable between your units of measure. To rephrase, measuring in hours, minutes or seconds is something I value from my many years of experience in rating (charging) and billing.

I suggest you avoid days, months, and years. Days aren't always 24 hours long because of the many forms of daylight savings. Perhaps you may avoid DST, but I'd still urge you to avoid the use of days. Months and years have similar problems with varying size.

Having said that, I can think of times when days, months and years are used in billing. In this context billing refers to the whole charges for a period of usage (day, month, ...). Rating (charging) refers to the charge for a specific event of usage/service. The situations that are day-friendly are usually in situations where you have memberships, rights, or other relationships. These come with increasing complications in the calculation of charges. You then have to have pro-ration algorithms when you have mid-period start and stops of these relationships. Just look at what happens with your wireless bills.

If you expect that you are charging for relatively short durations, make your life much easier by using hours, minutes and seconds.

Warmest Regards,

Carl A. Wright
Service Level Corporation
+1 734-827-2000 ext. 219 (voice)