[UR-WG] LAST CALL - Usage Record Format Recommendation - Version 1

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Tue Sep 19 06:10:19 CDT 2006

Laura F McGinnis wrote:
> Please review Version 1 of the Usage Record Format Recommendation. It is on
> our gridforge repository at
> https://forge.gridforum.org/sf/go/doc13864?nav=1, and also on the usage
> record website maintained at http://www.psc.edu/~lfm/PSC/Grid/UR-WG/.
>
> Please send all comments to the mailing list by 1 October 2006. After that,
> the document will be submitted to the OGF Editor.

Minor minor faults:
  * Extra comma in page 4, line 43
  * Merge sentence fragment at start of page 6 line 10 with previous
    sentence.
  * Extra comma in page 6, line 11
  * Extra space at page 7, line 6, col 45
  * Should Unix be UNIX at page 8 line 9?
  * Section 4 descriptive text (page 11, lines 19-22) is in 12pt, which
    is inconsistent with 11pt used elsewhere for text of equivalent
    importance.
  * Bullet sizes are inconsistent at equivalent levels across many pages
    (note that this is often very hard to fix; Word is terrible at
    getting this sort of thing strongly consistent in my experience.
    Given that, not fixing this point is acceptable.)
  * Too many blank lines before section 5 heading (page 14, line 9-10)
  * Should specify (page 15, lines 7,16) that following an external
    specification for how to name an element or attribute trumps the
    rules for underscores, periods and dashes.
  * Should specify (page 15) that attributes should be qualified by the
    UR schema namespace.
  * Extra space in 7.2.5.2 heading (page 16, line 12)
  * Appendix D title is in wrong style; must have been marked as Courier,
    9pt by accident.
  * Remove hyperlink style from the schema namespace names; namespaces
    aren't (necessarily) real URIs. (page 17 lines 15,22,28,34)
  * Extra blank line on page 17, line 14
  * Section 9.1 header should begin with lower case letter
  * Please indent (or otherwise render visually distinct) the example on
    page 35, line 34
  * The sample usage records (section 14, pages 39-40) would probably
    benefit from being in 9pt text so that strings (e.g. the record id)
    need not be broken at unfortunate locations
  * The cells of the survey results table (section A-2, pages 44-49)
    would be better off being marked as having North West cell alignment
  * Replace "I/ O" with "I/O" in A-2 table
  * Replace "X509" with "X.509" in A-4 table (page 50)
  * Appendix C should note that SI usage requires "kiB" for 1024 bytes,
    "MiB" for 1024 kiB, etc. It's stupid, but "standard". It's also a
    large part of the reason why JSDL dropped putting units in. :-\
  * There is an extra "- " at the start of the second line of appendix D
    (page 53, top)
  * There are several extra "- " at the start of some lines on page 54,
    lines 48-51
    [These last two are artefacts of the XML viewer in Internet Explorer]

Of these, only the units matter is of any significance (i.e. might
trigger a schema change or insertion of text) and we could just define
that to be "wrong" in an SI sense. :-) Everything else is really just
cosmetic.

Donal.