[ur-wg] Meeting Notes

Rosario Michael Piro piro at to.infn.it
Thu May 11 07:41:21 CDT 2006

Matthew Ford wrote:
> Quoting "Donal K. Fellows" <donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk>:
>
>> Future version to extend to more complex things than batch system job
>> accounting.
>

> But I think think we have this now!  Maybe I'm reading too much into the
> term
> "extend".  It's much more a change of method and clarification that I would
> like to see.  As you move through-out the document it becomes increasingly
> generalised.  By section ten, I believe the current specs clear
> intention is to
> be able to account much more than a batch job.  However it's not with out
> problem.

It is true that the general structure of the UR and most of it's
elements allow for a more general case, but I believe that that would
not be enough. Storage accounting, for example, would most probably
require additional elements such as FileIdentity/FileName. Other
elements (Disk) are already in place. I think the usage-related elements
(network, disk, memory, etc.) already provide most of what would be
needed, but the identity-related elements are still too batch
job-specific. We should concentrate concentrate generalization efforts
first on these.

> Some thoughts and quotes:
>
> - Job Level Accounting from the Original Spec is supposed to work at the
> batch
> job level.  It is restricted form of the usage of the base properties of
> section 3 or later the common properties of section 10.
>
>  From Sec.4: "Job level accounting reports accounting data at the job
> level. PBS
> and LoadLeveller.  This type of usage record MAY contain any of the base
> properties. This type of usage record MUST contain at least one of the
> following properties:o LocalJobId o GlobalJobId"
>
> - Aggregate Accounting is specifically allowed, and integral to the
> current doc.

I still believe that what is missing is an explicit differentiation
between aggregate records and non-aggregate records (this might also be
a simple attribute type="aggregate" to the UsageRecord element!?). An
aggregate record should at least clearly state that it is aggregate and
this statement should be unambiguosly defined, such that each
UR-"consumer" (whether a user, or a RUS) can undoubtfully distinguish
between these records). An aggregate record might (or should) also allow
multiple JobIdentity elements to be present.

--
    Rosario Piro (piro at to.infn.it)