[ur-wg] Aggregate Accounting

Matthew Ford Matt.Ford at manchester.ac.uk
Tue May 9 13:48:50 CDT 2006

Quoting Rosario Michael Piro <piro at to.infn.it>:

> I think a usage record should be explicitly declared to be aggregate
> (how should be discussed), otherwise we would easily undermine all
> standardization efforts. How does for example an arbitrary
> implementation of the Resource Usage Service (RUS), that uses the UR,
> realize that your UR is meant to be aggregate. It would most probably
> (and usually should) interpret the StartTime as the start time of job
> execution and the End Time as stop time of job execution of a single
> job. It wouldn't understand urwg:description="accountperiod" as
> modifier of the meaning of Start and EndTime.

So, my point here, is that section 10 of the spec defines StartTime, Endtime,
and CPUDuration as relating to Usage *not* job.  The descriptor is used to
attach meaning but it's not actually necessary, it's essentially a free
element.  Without the descriptor field the aggregate example is still valid.

I guess the issue is that the current section 10 defs allow this; I think
deliberately. For example the CPUDuration field can be used in a number of
circumstances: aggregate info is one of them, time on a batch system another,
cputime spent copying files may be yet another.

If we do move these fields into seperate sub-elements or specific "Job" types
(which I'm in favour off) then we have to be very careful.  Anyone using the
schema as I think original intended will have to made aware of these
significant changes.

I'd love to understand from the original authors if this is actually how they
envisaged its use.