[tsc] A little help needed

Chris Kantarjiev CHRIS.KANTARJIEV at ORACLE.COM
Wed Nov 22 21:26:49 CST 2006

> 3. Applications
> a. Which non-compute intensive applications are well suited to
> running on a grid?

There's a wide range of transactional, three-tier applications that are response-time sensitive, that are well suited to running on a grid - where the grid infrastructure's flexibility and dynamic reconfigurability can be brought to bear.

For example, a "web store" can use grid technologies to repurpose the servers in a pool to respond to ebbs and flows in customer demand, both at the HTTP-serving leaves and the middleware engine layers.

Grid-enabled database servers and storage units can similarly respond to increased demand to spread the load of additional customers or quarter-end tasks. When the load subsides, the storage can be deprovisioned and put to use elsewhere.

> c. Are I/O intensive applications not suitable for grid?

With a suitable storage infrastructure, I/O intensive applications can be supported by grid-enabled servers and storage structures that spread the load as needed to provide the promised or requested response time ... at a price, of course!