[tsc] Draft 0.1 of the technical Strategy Document.

Geoffrey Fox gcf at grids.ucs.indiana.edu
Thu Aug 31 12:52:50 CDT 2006

I agree that utility computing is a (the) major focus of much of
industry Grids and indeed of Enterprise sessions at OGF18. OGSA has
through BES made major progress here. However for eScience, such Grids
are interesting but probably not as popular in as "Data
Deluge"/"Information"/"Collaboration" Grids as used in MyGrid, BIRN,
LEAD, SERVOGrid etc.
Even industry has interest in latter type of Grids. See Bio-IT April
2006 with John Reynders of Eli Lilly talking on Integrative Informatics.
He would in OGF parlance consider "data management" as key issue. DoD
spends $30B on IT a year and considers Global Information Grid/Net
Centric Computing as future. The 9 core DoD Net Centric Enterprise
Services are focused far more on data than computing.

So I deduce its a diverse evolving world; we need to be inclusive in
general discussions but precise on particular things we do.

Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> Mark's note and today's TSC discussion lead me to resend something I penned during our original round of agenda- and document-bashing:
>

>> The terms "grid" and "grid computing" have a long, storied, and somewhat
>> checkered past. The term has gotten quite muddy. Articles like
>>
>> http://weblog.infoworld.com/gridmeter/archives/2006/07/a_broader_scope.html
>>
>> draw this in sharp relief.
>>
>> We should take advantage of this inflection point to recapture the mindshare
>> around "grid", by setting and stating goals crisply.
>>
>> I assert that grid computing is utility computing, on a range of hardware, in a
>> range of architectures - it's not just HPC computing, stealing cycles from one
>> another's supercomputers any more. (Nor is it, really, about cycle recovery from
>> desktops or embarrassingly parallel applications like SETI at Home. Those are
>> interesting, they got the term out into the marketplace of ideas, but we're not
>> going to be developing organizational strategy around those.)
>>
>> Grid computing is about these things:
>>
>> - infrastructure virtualization
>> - resource pooling & sharing
>> - self monitoring & improvement
>> - dynamic resource provisioning
>> - highest quality of service
>>
>> OGF's goals and the TSC's strategic roadmap need to capture all this.
>>

> I'll suggest again (probably for the last time :-) that this list, or something like it, is a good place to start our highest-level discussions of what OGF is trying to do. Work can be segmented, models built, use cases partitioned and gaps found by picking and choosing from these items as needed.
>
> Obviously, not all of our potential grid segments or archetypical use cases need all of these - but I think that every stakeholder cuts through several of them, so it might be an interesting place to start forging our message (both marketing and technical).
>
> Best,
> chris

:
: Geoffrey Fox  gcf at indiana.edu FAX 8128567972 http://www.infomall.org
: Phones Cell 812-219-4643 Home 8123239196 Lab 8128567977
: SkypeIn 812-669-0772 with voicemail, International cell 8123910207