[tm-rg] Chair Issues

Jim Webber Jim.Webber at newcastle.ac.uk
Sun Dec 12 21:14:37 CST 2004

Hello guys,

I'm sad to announce that I'm going to be stepping down from the co-chair
of this group effective end of 2004 since I'm moving into a different
job where I won't necessarily be concentrating on Grid (or even
transactions). While I may still be able to contribute as a member of
the group I think my schedule will be such that to continue as chair
will be detrimental to the progress of the group as a whole.

So, as one of the last remaining chair-esque things that I will do, I
would like to suggest that we clarify the chairing situation for the
subsequent work packages.

Firstly I think that three co-chairs for this group is too many given
the membership is fairly low and consists predominantly of domain
experts. I would suggest two is a good number for coverage.

I would like to suggest that we move to replace one of the
European-based chairs in favour of a US-based chair in order to get
better coverage for GGFs etc. Since Can is extremely busy and has had
some difficulty in fitting in the RG meetings etc, and the fact that
Torsten has done a sterling job of shepparding the RG I think it makes
sense to Torsten to continue in the role along with someone from the US
- the obvious candidate for that is Dieter (sorry for vounteering you
Deiter!).

Perhaps we could discuss this on the next call.

Jim