a Cypherpunks comeback

Riad S. Wahby rsw at jfet.org
Sat Jul 20 14:34:29 PDT 2013

"Michael Froomkin - U.Miami School of Law" <froomkin at law.miami.edu> wrote:
> Good idea.  But, with all respect, I don't know you.  Epecially
> given the (very, very, very unfortunate) domain name, it would be
> much better to get an invite from someone I recall from the old
> days.  Preferably signed with a key on a keyserver with a decent
> trust chain.
>
> And domain names are cheap.  CPUNKS-LIST.COM is available.  Why not
> pick a different one if you are serious about this? Or get someone
> to lend you a subdomain?

This is a fair objection, and you've suggested one good remedy. Seems
John was happy to oblige.

As I said in my first email, I've been running a cpunks node from this
address for quite some time. According to my notes, the last time any
other node in the CDR showed any life was 5/11/2005, but I've run
cypherpunks at al-qaeda.net and before that cypherpunks at jfet.org since
circa 2000. You should be able to verify all this with a couple Google
searches.

Fundamentally, though, you're right: I'm not the same rash college kid
who thought it would be hilarious to have an al-qaeda.net CDR node, and
if that's a sticking point for people, probably this little joke's best
days are seven or eight years gone already anyhow.

To that end, I just grabbed "cpunks.org"; as soon as it comes alive,
I'll change everything over to the new address.

-=rsw