[DIYbio] legality of distributing pdfs or hard copy papers?

John Young jya at pipeline.com
Wed Apr 24 05:16:40 PDT 2013

Other points on DMCA notices:

There is a growing racket in sending invalid DMCA notices.

Many are bluffs to intimidate alleged violators not familiar with
requirements for validity (validity itself is wide open to abuse
under DMCA law).

There are firms trolling for copyright notices who send phony
DMCA notices and then notify the copyright holder of a catch,
with an invoice. Unwary copyright holders think this is a good
thing until they read the invoice.

A DMCA notice sent to an alleged violator alone is not sufficient,
it must be sent to the ISP which is required to notify the alleged
violator for a response.

ISPs get innumerable DMCA notices as fishing expeditions and
are pissed at the unsubstantiated fakery which instigates an
automatic, human-free process. DMCA law permits the fakery
and puts the burden on the alleged violator to prove innocence.
A non-response is considered an admission of guilt. DMCA
advocates love this guilt-presumed method.

Innumerable alleged violators ignore the spam bluff DMCA
notices with no adverse effect -- except the spam may
continue. Do not answer the DMCA notice sender, respond
only to an ISP notice.

The obnoxiousness will continue until DMCA is overturned,
notifier throats are slit by info-liberators (metaphorically, please,
One with Boston), escape and evasion tactics are honed to
perfection, venal copyright-industry is separated from creators
with direct exchanges replacing rapacious middle-persons, and,
best of all, creation is done by those who consume it.