[cryptography] MS PPTP MPPE only as secure as *single* DES (UPDATE)

Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Mon Jul 30 15:12:53 PDT 2012

On 04/03/2012 02:29 PM, Marsh Ray wrote:

> Therefore, from any packet capture of a PPTP session which includes the
> initial handshake, a brute force of the response  yields the complete NT
> hash with complexity 2^57.
>
> The NT hash is a password-equivalent, and it represents the only secret
> material that goes into the MPPE encryption key derivation.
>
> So MS PPTP + MS-CHAPv2 + MPPE can be no better than single DES, and a
> break discloses your login credentials for use with other services.

An update:

Moxie Marlinspike and David Hulton have improved the attack from 2^57 to
2^56.

Two days ago at Defcon 20 they released open source software for parsing
network captures for any MS-CHAPv2 handshakes and an online service using a
Pico Computing FPGA cluster to reverse the NT hash. This allows decrypting
a captured PPTP session or logging in as the user in about half a day on
average.

https://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-20/dc-20-speakers.html#Marlinspike
https://www.cloudcracker.com/blog/2012/07/29/cracking-ms-chap-v2/

On Monday, Jacob Applebaum and I will be presenting our "vpwns: Virtual
Pwned Networks" paper at Usenix FOCI '12. It discusses the limitations of
off-the-shelf VPN systems when used for user anonymity and censorship
resistance. PPTP is a common choice for these systems, so we'll take the
opportunity to reiterate the inherent weakness in MS-CHAPv2.

https://www.usenix.org/conference/foci12/vpwns-virtual-pwned-networks

This is a good opportunity for everyone to make a contribution to
practical crypto. Anyone that can pitch in, let's do a full-court press on
lobbying for the wholesale replacement for MS-CHAPv2 and to raise
awareness of the decryptability of PPTP. We could use blog posts, press
articles, tweets, etc.

Let's make this the week that the whole industry realizes that vendors
shipping these protocols are continuing to sell crummy sub-standard
single-DES crypto products which don't conform to modern security
requirements.

- Marsh

----- End forwarded message -----