Decentralizing the Internet So Big Brother Can’t Find You

John Case case at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Feb 17 13:04:05 PST 2011

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011, J.A. Terranson wrote:

> This seems preety hefty on ambition and pretty low on details.  Is he
> planning on these wal-wart "servers" acting as TOR nodes?  Universally
> accessable wifi spots?  FreeNet nodes, or LAFS servers?
>
> I think what bugs me the most here is that the basic premise appears
> intrinsically flawed: On Inet-1, everyone can see who you are - it's an
> artifact of the construction goals originally designed for.
>
> I'd want to see some more meat and less fluff before I looked any deeper.

The (obvious) meme going around is "we'll just set up a mesh".

You can stop reading when you see that.  A mesh network that does the
things these people want it to do is currently rocket-science hard.

It can be done, and I'd be the first one celebrating, but from the mouths
of these morons its just mental masturbation.