Prepaid debit cards: usable for privacy anymore?

Roy M. Silvernail roy at rant-central.com
Thu Oct 29 10:30:47 PDT 2009

I've often heard that a rechargeable debit card is a useful tool for
maintaining financial privacy.  But I looked at a number of such cards
today, and all of them require an activation procedure that involves
disclosing name, address and SSN.  Has the market closed ranks on KYC,
or are there still cards that can be charged without associating with a
meatspace identity?
--
Roy M. Silvernail is roy at rant-central.com, and you're not
"It's just this little chromium switch, here." - TFT