Privacy, Anonymity, and John Q. Public

Damian Gerow dgerow at afflictions.org
Tue Apr 11 14:43:13 PDT 2006

I'm in the midst of committing myself to leading a series of discussions
about privacy and anonymity on the Internet (though, to properly tackle the
subject, I'll have to embrace meatspace as well) with a given number of
likely non-technical persons.

Though I'm fairly comfortable discussing such matters amongst persons of
a technical inclination, when starting to prepare some outlines, I realized
that these two demographics have some significant differences.

I have pulled through any number of papers, publications, websites, books,
etc. that I still have kicking around, and though it /should/ be enough to
fill up all my allotted time, I thought a solicitation for help and pointers
couldn't hurt.

If you were to lead a discussion on privacy and anonymity (regardless of the
involvement of the Internet), what topics would you want to discuss?  Which
areas would you want to focus on?  How would you start out?