SHA1 broken?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 09:19:05 PST 2005

Ah. You meant as a principal in general. Of course the prevailing wisdom is
to go from FPGAs to ASICs when you have heavy tasks.

In Telecom equipment, however, there's a few issues that basically 'require'
FPGAs.

First, the standards change quite a bit, depending on which area you're in.
For instance, RPR didn't really get settled until very recently. Second,
your customers may ask for "more" or different kinds of functionality, so
you may have a new release of firmware to address that. Putting the framing
and/or PM on an FPGA while keeping the guts (eg, packet processing) on the
main ASIC/processor allows you to swap out the trivial without a major heart
transplant.

In addition, there's probably the far more important issue of design cycle
times. ASICs will take (at the very minimum) 18 months to create, and if you
make a mistake early on and don't catch, you have to start all over again.
For some fields that's just unacceptable.

Then again, if you're looking for sheer, brute performance and design cycle
times are not a limiting factor, ASICs are often the way to go. Even in a
Variola Suitcase, however, I'd bet some of the trivial functions are
off-loaded to an FPGA, though, for reasons above.

-TD