[IP] more on AP Story Justice Dept. Probing Domestic

Bill Scannell bill at scannell.org
Fri Dec 30 02:46:41 PST 2005

Spying Leak

Dave,

Lest we forget what this is about: George W. Bush illegally ordered
NSA to
spy on US citizens.  This is a felony, for which I (and many other
former
and current NSA employees) hope to see him impeached and jailed.

As as former SIGINT analyst, I -and anyone else ever associated with
NSA-
know that USSID 18 prohibits the spying on United States Persons.
This is
NSA's Prime Directive, Ten Commandments, and Bill of Rights, all
rolled into
one.  It is an unlawful order to direct NSA to eavesdrop on US
citizens. It
is impossible for me to stress strongly enough that from day one, every
human associated with NSA has USSID 18 drilled into him.

With USSID 18, NSA is able to protect and defend our country.
Without USSID
18, NSA can be used to oppress the American populace. It comes as no
surprise to me that, in the face of an unlawful order, someone went
to the
papers with the story.

The exception to the rule of course, is the FISA courts.  President Bush
declined to use these courts despite the ability to get a FISA
warrant three
days after the fact.

It is a shame that with such a massive crime freely admitted by
President
Bush, a smart guy like Hiawatha continues to carry water for this
Administration.

-Bill

PS:  A public version of USSID 18 can be read at:
http://cryptome.org/nsa-ussid18.htm

Also sprach David Farber aka dave at farber.net on 30.12.05 13:50 :

>Begin forwarded message:
>
>From: h_bray at globe.com
>Date: December 30, 2005 12:55:23 PM EST
>To: dave at farber.net
>Subject: Re: [IP] AP Story Justice Dept. Probing Domestic Spying Leak
>
>Because (a) the DOJ approved of the spying and (b) the leakers
>violated
>federal law by revealing an ongoing intelligence operation in
>wartime.  If
>the Valerie Plame leak was a crime, this leak is doubly so.
>

>Hiawatha Bray
>

>              David Farber
>              <dave at farber.net>

>              12/30/2005 12:32          ip at v2.listbox.com
>
>PM                                                         cc
>

>Subject
>              Please respond to         [IP] AP Story Justice Dept.
>Probing
>               dave at farber.net          Domestic Spying Leak

>Begin forwarded message:
>
>From: Mary Shaw <mary.shaw at cs.cmu.edu>
>Date: December 30, 2005 12:26:18 PM EST
>To: Dave Farber <dave at farber.net>
>Subject: AP Story Justice Dept. Probing Domestic Spying Leak
>
>Dave,
>
>Why is the Justice Dept probing the leak rather than the domestic
>spying program itself?  Or did I miss the announcement of the latter?
>
>Excerpted from  http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&u=/ap/
>20051230/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/domestic_spying_probe_6
>
>Mary
>
>============================
>
>Justice Dept. Probing Domestic Spying Leak
>
>By TONI LOCY, Associated Press Writer
>
>The Justice Department has opened an investigation into the leak of
>classified information about President Bush's secret domestic spying
>program, Justice officials said Friday.
>
>The officials, who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of
>the probe, said the inquiry will focus on disclosures to The New York
>Times about warrantless surveillance conducted by the National
>Security Agency since the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.
>
>[[[snip]]]
>
>Revelation of the secret spying program unleashed a firestorm of
>criticism of the administration. Some critics accused the president
>of breaking the law by authorizing intercepts of conversations ?
>without prior court approval or oversight ? of people inside the
>United States and abroad who had suspected ties to al-Qaida or its
>affiliates.
>
>[[[snip]]]

>Archives at: http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-
>people/