"Double Secret" Wiretaps vs. the President's 2004 Statement

Lauren Weinstein lauren at vortex.com
Tue Dec 20 10:01:41 PST 2005

Dave,

In April 2004, President Bush made a seemingly direct and
unequivocal statement regarding U.S. wiretapping policies in the
fight against terrorism.  We now know that he spoke these words after
authorizing the NSA warrantless wiretapping program.

You can hear his comments for yourself in this very short video:

http://www.vortex.com/bv/wiretaps.wmv (Windows Media)

The White House explanation for this seemingly gaping discrepancy is
that the President was supposedly (we're now told) only talking about
"ordinary" secret wiretaps under the PATRIOT Act, not about what
we might call "Double Secret" NSA wiretaps (legal or not).

Newspeak is alive and well.  Dean Wormer of "Animal House" fame
would be proud.

--Lauren--
Lauren Weinstein
lauren at pfir.org or lauren at vortex.com or lauren at eepi.org
Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
http://www.pfir.org/lauren
Co-Founder, PFIR
  - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
Co-Founder, EEPI
  - Electronic Entertainment Policy Initiative - http://www.eepi.org
Moderator, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
DayThink: http://daythink.vortex.com

You are subscribed as eugen at leitl.org
To manage your subscription, go to