Reputation Capital Article - 1st Monday: Manifesto for the Reputation Society

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Mon Jul 19 10:43:14 PDT 2004

Here's a paper/article/screed on reputation capital.  A subject we
discussed here a long while ago back when dinosaurs ruled the earth,
etc... well, not quite that long ago.

This doesn't seem to mention anything about anonymous users, however.

http://www.firstmonday.org/issues/issue9_7/masum/index.html

Abstract
Manifesto for the Reputation Society by Hassan Masum and Yi.Cheng Zhang

Information overload, challenges of evaluating quality, and the
opportunity to benefit from experiences of others have spurred the
development of reputation systems. Most Internet sites which mediate
between large numbers of people use some form of reputation mechanism:
Slashdot, eBay, ePinions, Amazon, and Google all make use of collaborative
filtering, recommender systems, or shared judgements of quality.

But we suggest the potential utility of reputation services is far
greater, touching nearly every aspect of society. By leveraging our
limited and local human judgement power with collective networked
filtering, it is possible to promote an interconnected ecology of socially
beneficial reputation systems . to restrain the baser side of human
nature, while unleashing positive social changes and enabling the
realization of ever higher goals.

<SNIP>

 + ^ + :"I find it ironic that, on an amendment designed to protect  /|\
  \|/  :American democracy and our constitutional rights, the       /\|/\
<--*-->:Republican leadership in the House had to rig the vote and  \/|\/
  /|\  :subvert the democratic process in order to prevail"          \|/
 + v + :      -- Rep. Sanders re vote to ammend the US PATRIOT ACT.