Email tapping by ISPs, forwarder addresses, and crypto proxies

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Wed Jul 7 01:11:58 PDT 2004

At 02:47 PM 7/6/2004, Hal Finney wrote:
>Thomas Shaddack writes:
> > There are various email forwarding services, which are nothing more than a
> > SMTP server with pairs of recipient at forwarder.com --
> > recipient at hiscurrentisp.com.
>
>Right, mostly for use as disposable email addresses.
>I've used spamgourmet to good effect, myself.

They're also marketed as permanent addresses you can keep when
you change ISPs, for example pobox.com was one of the first ones.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, none of the forwarders let you
forward mail from recipient+tag at forwarder.com to recipient+tag at currentISP.com,
which means that they don't support tag-based spam protection.

When I want disposable addresses, I either use free providers,
or I use tagged addresses at free / cheap providers like fastmail.fm.

>One thing I haven't understood in all the commentary is whether law
>enforcment still needs a warrant to access emails stored in this way.
>Apparently the ISP can read them without any notice or liability, but
>what about the police?

Councilman currently only affects the First Circuit (the Northeast),
and it was only the three-judge-panel version of the Appeals Court,
so he could appeal it to the full court before going to the Supremes.

My reading of the opinions is that the two majority judges totally
failed to grasp the technology, while the dissenting judge got it,
so even if the opinion stands, it's very narrow in scope -
but it's a strong reminder that the current laws don't protect
stored email very well, and that if judges aren't technical enough
to understand it when it's laid out in front of their faces,
they're certainly not going to be sufficiently uncooperative
when police try to get warrants or subpoenas (or at least it
probably won't be hard for police to find a cooperative judge.)
Also, in the Steve Jackson Games case, the courts and Feds got away
with declaring that the ECPA didn't apply to mail that had arrived
in mailboxes, only to mail that was in transit.

It's not clear that ISPs in general can read mail without any
notice or liability - just that the obvious readings of the law
that Councilman sued them under don't currently work in the 1st Circuit.
He might have tried various business-related torts successfully,
but the wiretapping laws looked like a slam-dunk.
But that doesn't usually work against police, just businesses.

Police reading mail like this really is a different case -
they either need some kind of court papers to hand the ISP
(though these days the Patriot Act seems to be used to justify
almost anything and place a gag order on the activity,
and a subpoena is easier to get than a warrant),
or they need some bogus justification that the ISP has to
obey "administrative requests" that aren't court-issued,
or they need to wiretap the bits legally.

>Also, what if you run your own mail spool, so the email is never stored
>at the ISP, it just passes through the routers controlled by the ISP
>(just like it passed through a dozen other routers on the internet).
>Does this give the ISP (and all the other router owners) the right to
>read your email?  I don't think so, it seems like that would definitely
>cross over the line from "mail in storage" to "mail in transit".

One scary thing about Councilman was that it happened in a case
where the government was vaguely neutral and responsible for protecting
the citizen's privacy - when the prosecutors are _trying_ to get
outrageously twisted anti-privacy rulings they're more likely to win.

In particular, does a message count as "in transit" if you're
only hauling IP packets around with parts of the message
rather than the whole message, or does each part count as "in storage"
when it's gotten to a router that has to queue it before
forwarding it on to the next hop?  Or if the whole message
is queued in your ISP's sendmail queue because you've got an MX there?

What about _outgoing_ mail queued at your ISP,
who's being a good anti-spammer and forcing you to use
their mail transfer agent instead of sending directly to the destination?

> > There can be an easy enhancement for such forwarder service; GnuPG proxy.

There are several different threat models to think about -
- Greedy ISP reading your mail for their own purposes
- ISP responding to court-ordered wiretapping
- ISP collaborating enthusiastically with police
- Police wiretapping without court orders
- All of the above, but for stored mailboxes, not in-transit
- All of the above, but for traffic analysis / headers, not content

Mail-handling services don't prevent any of the in-transit threats,
but they can eliminate most of the threats to stored mailboxes,
and they do let you move your vulnerability to a different jurisdiction,
which can potentially reduce the likelihood that they'll wiretap you there.
For instance, if you're using your local cable modem company
for mailbox services, and you annoy your local police,
they may try to tap you, but police in Anguilla will probably
only try to tap you if you've gotten the US Feds or MI5/MI6 annoyed.
Police in Sealand might not respond to wiretaps at all,
but any unencrypted mail going there would have been watched closely.
Spooks in the UK proper might wiretap you as a favor to the US spooks,
and data privacy laws might or might not apply if you're a non-subject.

Google's Gmail is an interesting case.
Unlike Councilman's ISP, who were sneaky greedy wiretapping bums,
Google tells you that they'll grep your mail for advertising material,
and tells you how much of that they'll leak to the advertisers
and makes you some promises not to leak more.
The data's just sitting there waiting for a subpoena,
and there's not much point in having it all encrypted because
the cool features of Gmail aren't much use on cyphertext.

> > For added benefit, the
> > forwarder should support SMTP/TLS (STARTTLS) extension, so the connections
> > from security-minded owners of their own mailservers would be protected.
>
>STARTTLS support at the proxy should pretty much go without saying these
>days, so you might as well do it, but if you're already PGP encrypting
>then it's not adding that much security.  Well, maybe it does, but you're
>talking about a different threat.

STARTTLS is helpful because it can protect mail from the sender's ISP.
Almost by definition, that's unencrypted mail, because otherwise
you wouldn't be so worried about it getting tapped.

>I think it's a great idea.  Of course as you say there is still the
>problem that the forwarding server could read your email, so you have
>only moved the threat from the ISP to another operator.  The difference
>I suppose is that the forwarder would be selling privacy services, hence
>different ones would compete to get a good reputation.  Any cheating might
>be detected by insider whistle blowers or perhaps some kind of audit.

It might.  Unless of course the service is really run by narcs.

----
Bill Stewart  bill.stewart at pobox.com