Sources and Sinks

Justin justin-cypherpunks at soze.net
Fri Jan 2 05:21:22 PST 2004

Tim May (2004-01-02 05:46Z) wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2004, at 8:26 PM, Justin wrote:
>
> >Do those who have previously been in the workforce, in your opinion,
> >have the right to reclaim through welfare any amount up to that they've
> >paid through taxes to the entity providing welfare/unemployment?  Or is
> >all unemployment money Pluto's fruit?
>
> No, as there is no "fund" that this money is in. Once taxes are paid
> in, the money has gone out to crack addicts, Halliburton, welfare
> whores (excuse me, "hoes"), foreign dictators like Mubarek and Sharon,
> and so on.

I don't think money is as easily traceable as you'd like it to be.  Say
Bob is self-employed and hasn't payed quarterly or is employed by others
and simply doesn't withhold.  If Bob's loses his job March 31, he'd pay
his last year of income taxes at approximately the same time he became
eligible for unemployment.  Is there no time neighborhood after payment
of taxes (State taxes for this discussion) within which the collection
of unemployment is justified as "collection of stolen money"?

(Assume Bob earned plenty of money last year and didn't withhold, so
that the portion of his taxes allocated to unemployment covers at least
one unemployment check.  Then consider the ethics of Bob claiming just
one unemployment check.)

> Just because money was stolen from you doesn't give you any right to
> steal from me.

Suppose Bob screws up his taxes and pays too much (2003-04), and upon
discovering his mistake the next year he refiles (2004-04).  Does he not
have any right to a refund because that money will end up being stolen
from you (2005-04, presumably)?

As for your 30-40 trillion estimate, It seems to me that including SS
payouts would make the debt unbounded.  Regardless, SS payments aren't
guaranteed so considering them as debt is faulty.