e voting

Trei, Peter ptrei at rsasecurity.com
Mon Nov 24 10:04:01 PST 2003

cubic-dog [mailto:dog3 at eruditium.org] wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Major Variola (ret.) wrote:
>> Secretary of State Kevin Shelley is expected to announce today that as
>> of 2006, all electronic voting machines in California must be able to
>> produce a paper printout that voters can check to make sure their votes
>> are properly recorded.

>Great!
>Now when I sell my vote, I can produce this reciept for payment!
>What a perfect system!

>Umm, weren't voter "receipts" outlawed some time back
>because of this exact issue?

Thats not how it works. The idea is that you make your choices on
the machine, and when you lock them in, two things happen: They
are electronically recorded in the device for the normal count, and
also, a paper receipt is printed. The voter checks the receipt to
see if it accurately records his choices, and then is required to
put it in a ballot box retained at the polling site.

If there's a need for a recount, the paper receipts can be checked.

I imagine a well designed system might show the paper receipt through
a window, but not let it be handled, to prevent serial fraud.

Peter Trei