Idea: The ultimate CD/DVD auditing tool (meow)

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 9 18:03:51 PDT 2003

Somebody wrote...

>Yes this is for localization ---clicks are broadband, you need to
>identify which freq components are used.  I still think
>humans can't discriminate the phase of a tone.

An interesting thing to try is to play with the "phase" button on many
high-end gear. This supposedly matters for low frequencies, but despite my
unarguably golden ears, I'm still not convinced I can hear the difference.

My Thiel speakers, however, claim to be "phase coherent", and that seems to
be an entirely different matter. In other words, the different frequency
components of a sound are transmitted in correct phase relationships (ie,
true to the original sound), and the result is a (sometimes) astonishing
level of spacial detail. Of course, non-audiophiles will poo-poo that claim,
but even they will hear that the Thiels are far more accurate than the crap
that's sold in Circuit City or whatever. So I figure I may as well believe
Jim Thiel's claim that phase coherence is important in a speaker.

-TD