"Touching shuttle debris may cause bad spirits

Major Variola (ret) mv at cdc.gov
Mon Feb 3 11:47:59 PST 2003

At 06:18 PM 2/3/03 +0100, Thomas Shaddack wrote:
>> ...and some very, very tiny fraction may have actually touched
>> some component which made them slightly ill.
>
>Tf they ingested a part made of beryllium alloy, it could make them
pretty
>sick...

Yeah, first thing some people will do with space debris on their lawn
is eat it.  (Well, *some* will, but that's how evolution works..)

Berylliosis is mostly from *inhaled* Be dust.  You can touch the metal.

-----
Smell that, son?  Nothing else in the world smells like that....
I love the smell of hydrazine in the morning.... It smells like
incompetence.