Secret Service Buffoons

Mike Rosing eresrch at eskimo.com
Sat Apr 26 19:55:24 PDT 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Major Variola (ret) wrote:

> To my surprise, the Special Agent called back
> and pleaded with me.  He changed his story and
> said they had means of sending and receiving
> email, but they _weren't allowed_ to give out
> their email addresses.
>
> I know this is supposed to be the Secret
> Service, but keeping their email addresses
> secret is going a bit far IMHO.  I would
> think most computer-security professionals
> would know how to set up a temporary and/or
> anonymous email address.
>
> I hope he enjoys transcribing the scammers'
> 350-character-long URLs from the paper I sent.

Shouldn't be too hard, seems they are used to pencil and paper :-)

> I put the info on a secure web site and
> suggested he pull it down from there, but
> he declined that, too.

Because you could pick off his login and trace him back :-)

> The Special Agent was surprised to hear that
> I controlled multiple web sites.  He didn't
> understand how that was possible.
>
> The Special Agent was surprised to hear that
> given an IP address, I could figure out what
> country it's in.  He argued with me about this.
> The term "whois" meant nothing to him.
>
> Heretofore I didn't understand how identity-
> theft rings could operate so openly.  One
> might have thought they would be afraid of
> stings, but evidently they're not.
>
> There's a lot of darkness here.  I've set
> out a few candles, but I'm not sure it's
> going to be enough.

More proof all our fears of the government actually being dangerous are
totally false.  They are incompetent beyond comprehension.  I think I
better go check out that movie "Brazil" again.

Patience, persistence, truth,
Dr. mike