Psuedo-Private Key (eJazeera)

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 20 13:12:26 PST 2002

Well, the basic idea is to co-encrypt some "fake" data that looks like the
real data, so that when they find it (using the key to the fake data of
course) they'll figure you gave them the real key, because they won't know
that there ever was a fake key leading to fake data. (And I suppose there's
no reason not to allow for mutliple batches of fake data that get encrypted
along with the real data.)

And depending on the situation, the key-holder will decide whether to give
them a key that destroys the real data, or that doesn't (and hides it).

In some situations, the fake data could be something completely innocuous
and unrelated to what "they" were looking for, or in other cases it could
look like what they were looking for albeit with doctored information.