on 'evil' as an abbreviation

Nomen Nescio nobody at dizum.com
Mon Jul 1 12:30:10 PDT 2002

> Evil = bad = counter to our goals.  One of our goals is to have
> general-purpose computers widely available.  A DRM layer between us
> and the hardware is counter to that goal, ergo, undesirable from this
> perspective.
>
> Its like a governor in a car.  Do you want one in yours?   Are you willing
> to pay for the decreased driving flexibility and decreased reliability
> (extra parts, after all) of your car?

Sure, I might put a governor in my car if it would lower my insurance
rates.  And I might use a DRM system if it let me download music and
video that I wanted, while remaining compliant with the creators' wishes.

> What makes you think you can require one in mine?

We're talking about voluntary systems here.  Ryan said that DRM was
evil even if voluntary.