Anonymous blogging

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Dec 10 18:51:22 PST 2002

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 05:40  PM, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> But cypherpunks isn't that great a forum for publishing ideas.  Take a
> look at http://www.inet-one.com/cypherpunks/current/maillist.html to
> see the unfiltered list feed.  Sure, no subscriber with half a clue
> actually sees it like this, but that's how it looks to the outside
> world.
> It's tough to find the nuggets of enlightenment buried amongst the
> crap.

Reading an unfiltered feed these days is like watching television
without a mute button, without a channel change button, without a PVR.
In other words, reading an unfiltered feed is a lot like watching
television in 1970, when changing the channel meant getting up and
walking over to turn a crude knob, when junk and spam was unavoidable.

> I'd like to start publishing a blog.  But of course given the
> sensitivity
> of my position and the boldness of my arguments, it's important that
> there be strong anonymity protection.

Blogs without active feedback are just rants. You may find yourself
ranting to a handful of people you'll never know, never hear from.
Boring.

And as boring and low-volume as Cypherpunks has become, this is true
for most lists. So many proliferated lists, blogs, newsgroups, chat
forums, Yahoo groups....

(You could do the Hettinga thing and post to 7 of your own lists, but
this is considered tacky in civilized places.)

Offhand, I can think of several ways to do an anonymous blog...posting
to alt.anonymous.messages, for starters. Same ability to do stream of
conscious writing. Sure, the "immediacy" of some blogs is missing, but
posting to Usenet can propagate in tens of minutes, which is comparable
to most blogs. And adding anonymity through remailers makes an
anonymous blog no more responsive than posting via a mail-to-Usenet
gateway.

But the best way would of course be to use a standard Web proxy. Such
things have been out for several years.

--Tim May