Fwd: Re: FC: Sen. Hollings plans to introduce DMCA sequel: The SSSCA

Thomas Leavitt thomasleavitt at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 15:08:02 PDT 2001

>From: keyser-soze at hushmail.com
>To: cypherpunks at lne.com
>Subject: Fwd: Re: FC: Sen. Hollings plans to introduce DMCA sequel: The
>SSSCA
>Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2001 12:06:53 -0700

I'm tired of hearing my fellow Americans referred to as cowards, weaklings,
sheep, ignorant, easily mislead - this is a profoundly undemocratic
sentiment, the same kind of crap spewed by totalitarian and authoritarian
types from the far left and the far right as justification for abandonment
of the democratic process and the use of force to impose their ideology on
the rest of us.

It is the cry of someone unwilling to do the hard work of actually speaking
to their fellow and convincing them of the rightness of the cause being
professed; the frustrated rant of someone who is convinced he or she has
"The Truth" on their side - the same opinion shared by Timothy McVeigh, Osma
Bin Ladin, and folks of a similar ilk.

I won't deny that I think our government is unduly influenced by factions
(from certain labor unions to untold numbers of corporations) with financial
and other interests at stake, but my answer is to become a more dedicated
citizen, to work harder to educate my fellow citizens and elected
representatives about what I think is right and just.

I refuse to give up on our way of life, my fellow citizens, or to write off
my government as completely and irredemably lost. To do so is criminally
irresponsible, in my view.

***

I encourage everyone to read this book - it says more about the strengths
and weaknesses of this country (and more importantly, the "cowards" and
"weaklings" who make it work) than anything I've ever read. It is written by
an Arab-American and a profound patriot, someone whose life represents the
American dream in all it's glory and gore.

America, More Than a Country
by Salom Rizk

Book Description
Salom Rizk, author of this autobiography, was born in 1909 in a tiny
poverty-stricken town in Syria. Two brothers and an uncle in Iowa paid his
passage to the United States, but he arrived penniless, homeless and with no
knowledge of the language. The story of his incredible experience in
self-education and his rise to one of the most sought-after and
inspirational speakers on American lecture platforms is contained in
"America, more than a Country."

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1564922979/qid=999899722/002-6041749-5005636

The Chicago Tribune
"This is the kind of book you pick up to skim through and find yourself
reading every word avidly...It's excellent to read aloud to the family -much
more effective than pompous essays of freedom."

Regards,
Thomas Leavitt

--
Thomas Leavitt -- thomasleavitt at hotmail.com; ICQ #16455919
http://www.internetmanifesto.org/

Wired since 1981. Internet enabled since 1990. Web enabled since 1993.