A Call for a Chorus of Voices

Ernest Hua ernest at luminous.com
Thu Sep 13 22:09:51 PDT 2001

It seems like every bozo in Congress is leaning toward the
"you can't do crypto" solution, which we know, just by the
laws of nature, cannot work.

Why is it, that no one has even suggested taking off the
figurative handcuffs on what the NSA can or cannot use
without court orders?

The more cynical side of me says that they are already
using it (yes, this means that they are already collecting
it), and so it's not worth fighting for because that would
only legalize something they're already doing.

The more innocent side of me says that maybe they are
jockeying to compromise on this:  They already have huge
sorting and correlation engines just waiting for Congress
critters to say, "Okay, now you can legally turn on these
toys ...".  (Oh, ok, sir ... actually, we already did ...
and you'll be proud of us, sir ... we caught every last
one of dem fern'ner's ... oh ... you did, eh ... well,
just remember to ask for permission next time ...)

Ern