USPS: glowing by leaps and bounds

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 24 10:32:38 PDT 2001

On Wednesday, October 24, 2001, at 10:14 AM, Sampo Syreeni wrote:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2001, David Honig wrote:
>
>> Enough rads to sterilize?  Forget film.
>
> What do you suppose happens to disks and other magnetic media at these
> flux levels?

Nothing. Magnetic oxides and metallic thin films are not affected by
mere few tens of kilorads, or even by megarads.

Ionizing radiation has no particular first order effect on such films.

There is much more I can write here, but won't.

--Tim May
"Ben Franklin warned us that those who would trade liberty for a little
bit of temporary security deserve neither. This is the path we are now
racing down, with American flags fluttering."-- Tim May, on events
following 9/11/2001