Netscape Out!

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Tue Oct 23 01:13:49 PDT 2001

At 12:52 AM 10/23/2001 -0500, Harmon Seaver wrote:
>georgemw at speakeasy.net wrote:
> > On 22 Oct 2001, at 18:52, Tim May wrote:
> > > You must be the only remaining user of NS (for either the Mac or
> > > Windows). Everyone I know gave up on NS 5 and moved on to IE. It's not
> > > perfect, but it's not buggy like "AOLscape" is.
> >
> > There never was a netscape 5, they jumped from 4.5 to 6.
> >

>       I'm using 4.8 -- tried 6, it sux.

6.0 ranged from bad, if you had enough RAM, to mind-bogglingly amazingly bad
if you ran on Win98 with 24MB RAM.  It was way beyond atrocious -
just trying to load the startup page (set to "about://") took
tens of minutes of little pieces dribbling onto the screen.
6.1, on the other hand, seems to work tolerably well,
at least on my 64MB RAM machine.

I normally use Mozilla (though I'm finding that 0.9.5 crashes a bit more
than 0.9.4.)
The one main gripe I've had about Mozilla has been that a number of
plug-ins either don't work at all or have installers that get confused
if your machine has both a Netscape 6.x and a Mozilla on it,
and tends not to install itself where the Mozilla can find it.

I use IE for pages that have too much broken Javascript to survive on Mozilla,
or for pages that have plugins that my Mozilla doesn't support.