Google and the Net

David Honig honig at sprynet.com
Tue Oct 9 18:50:40 PDT 2001

At 11:40 PM 10/9/01 +0200, Nomen Nescio wrote:
>Google thus serves as an honesty mechanism, holding people responsible
>for what they have said and making it more difficult for them to conceal
>revisions to their published opinions.

>It's unfortunate that we have to rely on Google.  Imagine an ongoing,
>distributed project to cache the web.  Volunteers could keep tabs on
>a subset of corporate and personal web pages and cache old versions
>when changes are made.  Rewriting history becomes that much harder.
>And it's certainly a better use of computers than seti at home.

Very nice analysis.

If you greatly reduce Google's speed of search, what kind of
compression-gains can you get?   Imagine an archive which is
highly compressed [1] but used mostly to counter censorship.

[1] That JPGs etc. are already highly compressed means that
if you keep pictures, you won't gain as much by trading off
search speed for compression.