Antivirus software will ignore FBI spyware: solutions

Sunder sunder at sunder.net
Mon Nov 26 11:49:30 PST 2001

Great and wonderful except:

1. If such spyware has already been installed on your system you can't
trust your os therefore:

	a. It may use your OS to hide the key capture log, so you
	   won't be able to just watch files.  Think of a kernel patch
	   that removes all references to a specific file, not just
	   sets it to be hidden.

	b. It may use your OS to hide that the OS was altered if you
	   decide to use a debugger by patching the debugger also, and
	   when say "Finder" looks at the System file, it's really
	   looking at the inactive original one, rather than the one
	   that was patched. (or it could be an extension that hides
	   itself and the capture file from the OS, etc.)

2. Any hard drive you can access so can they.  "They" can patch your
disk:

	a. I'm not sure about newer MacOS's, but I remember that older
	   MacOS's, those on 68k boxes stored driver code for the disk
	   on one of the blocks on the drive, so even if your OS wasn't
	   booted with the spyware, simply mounting that drive would
	   load the driver, and anything that goes with it.

	   I had the experience of having such a driver getting corrupted
 	   back when I used a Mac. I recall I had to use special software
	   to mount the disk without the old driver - actualy to just zap
	   the old driver off the disk and replace it.

	b. If the malware is on your hard drive, it can propagate like
	   a virus to your iPod.  Sanitize your OS, only to have it
	   come back when you hook up said iPod.

3. Newer G3+ Mac's use open boot prom or some such which lives in
eeprom.  Such things can be patched at that layer and can propagate on
bootup.  Booting off a read only disk (CDROM, etc) wouldn't help in this
case.

4. If you live in a crowded area, your iPod can be lifted off you
in a false mugging, or break in, pick pocketting while you're at a
restaurant, movie, etc.

5. Watching for files that change daily is a fool's task for the reasons
mentioned above, and the Sysiphean task it presents.  Better get the
equivalent of Cops or Tripwire to do the work for you, but they too can be
tampered with.

6. If McAffee bent over to the Feds, you can be sure that so will the
makers of Zone Alarm and other firewalls.

7. Remember, they don't need to capture all your keystrokes.  Just the
ones you use as passphrases.  And they don't need to copy your whole hard
drive, though they easily could when you're out of the house.  Just your
secret key file and your passphrase.

8. If you shut off your computer when you leave your house, it makes their
job that much easier.  If you leave it on, they could note what's open and
put it back to the same spot.

9. If you use a login screen, etc, Or they could simply run something that
would take a snapshot of your desktop, shutdown your Mac, install the
malware/copy your files, then and boot off of a floppy that displays the
screen you left up, plus a Type 1 Bomb (MacOS equivalent of blue screen of
death), and eject the floppy thus - making it look like your Mac crashed,
or, simply go down to the basement and trip your circuit breakers making
it look like you've had a power failure (even UPS's run out at some
point.)

10. Ordered any new copies of a bit of software?  Maybe they have a deal
with FedEx, UPS, the Mailman.  Maybe what you're getting is the upgrade
and then some.  How can you tell that copy of SmallTalk doesn't carry an
extra bit of code just for you?  How can you tell that the latest patch to
MacOS you've just downloaded really came from Apple?  Sure DNS said it was
from ftp.apple.com but how do you know that the router upstream from your
internet provider didn't route your packets via ftp.fbi.gov?

Once they have physical access, you're fucked.  Remote access is almost as
dangerous as them having physical access, however it can work in your
favor as they won't be as familiar with your environment, and thus are far
more likely to expose the malware to you.

Sure, all of these things are more or less preventable, except for
physical access, and a lot of these come down to trust and reputation.
But reputation and trust are also rubber hose-able (if there is such a
word.)  :)

You can trust your best friend until you find out otherwise.  You can
trust your bank until you find out otherwise.  You can trust your software
provider until you find out otherwise.  But by the time you've found out,
if you've found out at all, you've already been fucked.

 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\
  \|/  :aren't security.  A |share them, you don't hang them on your/\|/\
<--*-->:camera won't stop a |monitor, or under your keyboard, you   \/|\/
  /|\  :masked killer, but  |don't email them, or put them on a web  \|/
 + v + :will violate privacy|site, and you must change them very often.
--------_sunder_ at _sunder_._net_------- http://www.sunder.net ------------