Slashdot | Phoenix BIOS Phones Home?

Paul E. Robichaux paul at robichaux.net
Wed Jun 20 09:14:42 PDT 2001

Well, where I come from this is useful functionality! In combination with a
feature called RIS (remote installation service) in Windows 2000, you can
create a library of canned machine images and blast them out to machines over
the network. One of our major customers has cut the time necessary to replace
a failed machine down to about 15 minutes: plug in the new machine, hit F12
during boot to trigger PXE, lay down the image received from the RIS server,
user logs in, and voila!

As much as you & I may not like it, in many corporate environments the
computer should be no more personalized than the telephone. No one gets
emotionally attached to their telephone, and replacing it is a trivial
affair-- all the speed dial numbers, voice mail, and so on is stored in a
central box. So it is becoming with PCs.

As a side note, none of this is even remotely new. Microsoft & Intel, plus
their partners, have been pushing variations of this theme for almost 10
years now. My favorite feature is the one that sends a network yell for help
via SNMP when someone opens the lid on a machine.