More on G3s

Tom tom at ricardo.de
Fri Jan 12 06:46:04 PST 2001

Jim Choate wrote:

> Not to be contrary but the crypto relationship is just too much....

ok, so let's play the game and assume you're not just trolling:

> What makes 'your friend' an authority?

he had the weapon in question in hand pretty much every day for several
years. he trained new recruits on it. I bet he can disassemble, clean
and reassemble it blindfolded. is that enough authority to answer a
simple question on ammunition?

> Why should we take your word for it?

because I have nothing to gain by stating anything false, while I do
have reputation capital to gain by making truthful statements based on
actual research.

> How do we know that you're not Tim via an alternate account or a
> friend in collusion?

you are free to come over to germany and verify my existence in person.
in addition, I've been too long on this list to be a prank for this
unimportant issue. third, you can make a call to my company and ask to
be connected to me. ricardo.de happens to be a little too large for tim
to buy up just to create a fake account.

> How do we authenticate your friend (ie pk management)?

web-of-trust. I will authenticate my friend by having a face-to-face
meeting. you can authenticate my words via PGP if you want to, I can
sign the mail. which leaves only me as a possible instance of
introducing false facts, and that point has been answered above.

now as to how to authenticate whether or not my friend is what I claim
he is - well, I'm sure he has the appropriate documents that could be
checked for forgery, etc. if you insist (and pay the costs) that could
surely be arranged.