MS Product Activation for Windows (licensing)

Matt Elliott melliott at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Jan 9 14:58:40 PST 2001

At 5:23 PM -0500 1/9/01, Ray Dillinger wrote:
>But if Microsoft and its ilk do in fact successfully create systems
>that prevent "piracy", it won't be possible to be a hypocrite about
>it any more.  And with commercial software flatly refusing some
>kinds of use, perhaps a fair number of people who now *think* they
>are not doing any piracy will have to face some harsh facts.

Or you can realize that you were exercising "fair use" and the software
companies are now going to use technical means to prevent you from
exercising your right on copyrighted works.

It will only me a matter of time before some hacker provides the necessary
tools to exercise our "fair use" right again.

--

Matt Elliott			High Performance Data Management Team
217-265-0257			<mailto:melliott at ncsa.uiuc.edu>