CNN.com on Remailers

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sat Dec 29 03:19:48 PST 2001

[Various discussion about spammers using crypto to use remailers.
There's not much, but it's there.  Encrypted-Outgoing-Only
reduces the problem a lot, since there aren't many people who'll
positively respond to encrypted spam :-) ]

At 08:15 PM 12/19/2001 +0100, Anonymous replied to Peter Trei:
> > One solution, which I've long advocated, is for the remailer to drop
> > mail which has an unencrypted body after it's applied it's decryption key.
> >
> > Provided this is an announced policy, substantially increases the
> > protection of the mail and the remop. It does mean that only people
> > capable of using encryption can receive mail via the remailer, but
> > that's probably a *good* thing.
>
>No, that is a terrible idea. It totally destroys the usefulness of
>remailers on Usenet and mailing lists.

Obviously there are some destinations that need to be exceptions.
Usenet's easy - keep track of known mail2news gateways,
and any time you send mail to Usenet, you need to put lots of disclaimers
about it's remailed, it's probably forged, there's no way to reply, etc.

Mailing lists are tougher, because you obviously can't keep a list of them.

Another way to deal with unencrypted outgoing message is to send mail
saying "we've received an anonymous message for you.  You can pick it up
at https://myremailer.com/tempoutgoing/msg124354.txt within 7 days."
or some such.