AP Al quim

Jim Choate ravage at einstein.ssz.com
Tue Dec 11 16:20:54 PST 2001

On Tue, 11 Dec 2001, David Honig wrote:

> At 12:13 AM 12/11/01 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
> >No, I'm not. 'discrimination' requires(!) 'prejudice'. Prejudice is the
>
> In Choate prime, perhaps.  For the rest of us, measurement (e.g.,
> the redness vs greenness of a fruit) lets us discriminate useful from not.

Bullshit, you're playing word games. Get your dictionary and educate
yourself on this point. You're using the word in the fist case to mean
select individuals as sub-optimal. Then when you're called to the carpet
on your logical inconsistency you all of a sudden change your word usage
to mean 'select', which ain't the same thing at all in the context of your
original usage. Discriminate as you use above is almost exclusively a
technical application, which isn't applicable to the social application
we're actually discussing. Why? Because in your first usage you were
applying a measure of 'merit' whereas in the above usage you are drawing a
simple distinction. Not the same beasty at all - Choate Prime or not.

Discriminate:

1. To observe or mark the difference between

2. To show partiality because of race, nationality, or class prejudice

You really should be more consistent in the way you use words.

             Day by day the Penguins are making me lose my mind.

                                             Bumper Sticker

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com