Voluntary Mandatory Self-Ratings and Limits on Speech

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Aug 25 07:18:38 PDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 02:10:18PM +0300, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> True. Yet harm gives you cause for Common Law action, no?

No. If I start a bakery that competes with yours and takes customers
from yours, I have "harmed" you. Yet this is something that society
encourages.

If I successfully woo your girlfriend/boyfriend, I have "harmed" you.
Yet this is seen as acceptable, or at least not illegal, behavior.

What is "harmful" is not necessarily illegal or tortuous.

-Declan