reverse panopticon: faces of authority project (was Re: *Protecting* civil liberties with facial recognition)

Subcommander Bob bob at black.org
Thu Aug 2 09:12:42 PDT 2001

   At 07:20 AM 8/2/01 -0700, Brewster Kahle wrote:
>There do happen to be a large collection (very large) of web images in
a free-to-use library, called the Internet Archive...

>In fact, these images are on a parallel supercomputer made up of
hundreds of linux boxes, so if someone writes the software to do this
detection we could run it on the images in the collection.

>Let me know how a public library can help.
>
>-brewster

Mapping the faces to the meatspace occupations will be the hard part.

You might start with the Kirkland, Washington list of police
truenames...