CDR: Re: Why Free Speech Matters

Kevin Elliott k-elliott at wiu.edu
Thu Sep 28 12:31:06 PDT 2000

At 23:12 -0500 9/27/00, Jim Choate wrote:
>The act by the business of refusing to service me as a customer because I
>don't have the lifestyle they like IS most certainly an infringement of
>the civil liberties of the customers and they should be able to take
>action accordingly against the business for trying to constrain their
>liberty.

In this framework where does your right to refuse entry to your
private residence come from?

>Demonstrate that the two dykes infringed the right of the owner to try to
>make a profit. Then, and only then, will you have a case to infringe their
>right to express their beliefs.
>
>Would it have mattered if it was a guy and his girlfriend? If so, why?
>Why is a man and a woman kissing not infringing or damaging but two
>women/men is?

In my mind this is all about property rights.  He (the business
owner) doesn't have a right to make a property, he has the right to
say what persons can and cannot do on his property.  If they refuse
to comply he has the right to ask them to leave and possibly resort
to force to remove them.  If money has been involved in the exchange
(ie, the lesbians bought a ticket) they have a right to demand
compensation IF their actions were not explicitly banned.  The owners
reasons do not have to be moral, reasonable, intelligent, or even
rationale.  It's his property.
--

Kevin "The Cubbie" Elliott
<mailto:kelliott at mac.com>                             ICQ#23758827