-C-P- Re: CDR: Re: would it be so much to ask..

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Fri Sep 22 23:37:45 PDT 2000

If you put the tag at the end of the line, not the beginning,
it doesn't break sorting - all the articles of a given thread
stay together.  One difference between what you do and what
some other mailing lists do is that cypherpunks uses multiple list servers,
and yours munges the Subject: lines while the others don't.
Most mailing lists that label their traffic use just one server;
if they're using multiple servers, they're administered identically,
so you don't have a mixture of munged and undamaged topics.

At 05:51 PM 9/19/00 -0500, you wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Tim May wrote:
>
>> >I suppose you know why we donĀ“t have that (the remailing issue). But
>> >I kinda have another idea. Just start every subject line with eg
>> >-C-P- like I did now, then it would be really easy to filter all the
>> >mail.
>
>> Nitwit, this idea has been proposed many times. Choate even does
>> this, unfortunately, to all traffic flowing through his node.
>
>No, I don't do this. I do put a tag in the title for traffic analysis and
>easy visual identification. Despite your bitching about it, about 70% of
>the mailing lists I'm aware of do the same thing. The only distinction is
>they put []'s around it. I could put []'s if that'll make you happy. The
>'CDR' itself stays. Very handy for quick visual scanning.

				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com