CDR: Re: Re: would it be so much to ask..

petro petro at bounty.org
Tue Sep 19 23:54:27 PDT 2000

I said:
>On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, petro wrote:
>
>>  	If it allows *ANY* back trace, it's not anonymous.
>
>That's not necessarily true. I believe both onion routers and ZKS both
>provide this (at least in principle).
>
>I also believe there is something in ZKS about their mixing being secure
>against themselves...?

	The key word in that sentence was "trace", meaning just
that--a trace. In the pseudononymous remailers there is a back trace
to follow. With encrypted reply blocks, we *assume* that back tracing
is well nigh impossible--and with an appropriate end-point (say the
final hop is to a mail->news gateway) is pretty much dead certain to
be fully anonymous.

	I haven't looked at ZKS stuff yet, since they don't have a
Macintosh version, and I don't have Linux installed at home any more.
(Only OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris, MacOS 9 and X. I think that's enough
for now), and I really don't feel that I'm qualified to judge the
onion routing stuff. Well, Ok, I'm probably not qualified to judge
the ZKS stuff either.

	Either way, if the ability to map email address to meat space
identity is less than very, very hard for a government to do
*technically* then it really isn't anonymous.

--
Sometimes it is said that man can not be trusted with the government