CDR: Re: Legislative approaches to ID theft?

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Oct 25 11:59:22 PDT 2000

At 9:24 AM -0400 10/25/00, Declan McCullagh wrote:
>Likely means new criminal laws... (today)
>
>SOCIAL ISSUES
>Social Security Administration (SSA) Office of the Inspector General
>Identity Theft Prevention Workshop. Panels will discuss victims'views
>on prevention, Internet issues, workplace ID theft, private industry
>issues and legislative approaches to preventing ID theft

Recall that it was agents of the U.S. Government who made _my_ Social
Security Number, and other pertinent information, a matter of an open
court record.

BTW, something that's incredibly bad about modern online security is
the increasing number of financial companies and agencies that now
require "the last four digits of your social number" as an enabling
key. When I speak to a phonedroid about the absurdity and danger of
this, they act confused.

Declan is right about the above meaning new laws are coming. New laws
meaning more control. Government won't be affected...it rarely is
affected by its own legislation.

There are many ways to lessen the dangers of "identity theft."
Government could start by sticking to the original words on _my_ SS
card: "For tax and social security purposes only -- not to be used
for identification."

(Or words very similar to this. Somewhere I still have my original SS
card, issued in 1969, and this is what it says. I have heard that
this phrasing was dropped in later years, opening the door for the SS
number to be used for student I.D. numbers, military I.D. numbers,
financial record passwords, and all the rest.)

Fucking hypocrites.

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.