CDR: NSA wants it all

George at Orwellian.Org George at Orwellian.Org
Tue Oct 17 10:06:30 PDT 2000

http://foxnews.com/vtech/101700/nsa_fox.sml [snipped]
#
#    War of the Web
#    NSA prepares the U.S. for battle online
#    Tuesday, October 17, 2000
#
#    The U.S. National Security Agency wants to do battle in cyberspace.
#
#    "Information is now a place," Air Force Lt. Gen. Michael Hayden told
#    a major computer security conference in Baltimore on Monday. "It is
#    a place where we must ensure American security as surely as land, sea,
#    air and space."
#
#    And the NSA - the military agency responsible for intercepting
#    communications worldwide - doesn't just care about defense.
#
#    Ultimately the NSA must become the "security statement" of the U.S.
#    telecommunications and computer industries, just as he views the Air
#    Force as the "military statement" of the aviation industry, he said.
#    "How else does our society develop the tools we need to do what it
#    is that our agency has been charged to do?"