CDR: Re: request for info about DU

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Tue Oct 10 18:44:45 PDT 2000

At 8:55 PM -0400 10/10/00, David Honig wrote:
>At 03:09 PM 10/10/00 -0400, Tim May wrote:
>>And if you asked on the Cypherpunks list because you thought it would
>>be cute to implicate us in nuclear weapons chatter, get a clue. If
>>not, it was still the wrong place to ask such a question.
>>

>>--Tim May
>
>Lets see, radiation effects on matter... hmm, I bet TM knows something about
>that... U acts like Ca++, so watch your bones... anticipating that regular
>NM poster,
>stay upwind...blah blah..
>
>Nukes are not cost or effort- effective, compared to CBWs...

"Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love uranium."

I forgot to mention in my last message that another prime use of DU
is for radiation shielding. No, not an example of Simpson's Paradox
(not O.J.). Rather, DU absorbs very well, and only gives off very
slight amounts of radiation.

Uranium, either the ore, or the metal, or the depleted form, is
remarkably harmless. I used to handle blocks of the stuff. One of my
associates had some dice made out of DU...I always wanted a pair of
these, but I never got my own set.

Ah, the years of slaving away in the thorium mines...

(A line out of a Heinlein juvenile, I vaguely recalled at the time.
Something significant about learning about thorum, slide rules, and
tensors from reading Heinlein novels in the 6th grade.)

--Tim May
"Cyphernomicon"             | black markets, collapse of governments.