CDR: Re: Vinge

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Wed Nov 29 19:36:41 PST 2000

At 6:49 PM -0500 11/29/00, brflgnk at cotse.com wrote:
>Quoting scogan at scogan.yi.org:
>
>>  On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, brflgnk at cotse.com wrote:
>
>>  > Any idea when?  Amazon's had me on backorder for 15 months.
>>
>>  Try your local used bookstore for "True Names".
>
>Thanks for the offer, but I'm impatient for the new expanded
>release.  I've had
>a copy of the original paperback for years.

And in answer to various e-mails sent to me, including I think from
this rvlpeiru at cots.com person, I don't know when the new edition is
coming out. Amazon is saying March 2001.

Though this is 3 years after I was told it would be coming out (when
Jim Frenkel was haranguing me about working over Xmas to finish my
chapter, 4 years ago!!!!!!), I think Vinge's winning of the Hugo this
past year may make the 2001 date more plausible. Most publishers try
to ride the coat tails of things like Hugos.

My point about the old edition is that $25 is a lot to pay for what
is basically a novella. I predict those who pay $25 and finish the
novella two hours later will be saying "I paid $25 for _this_?"

TN is a seminal novella, but people should not be expecting it to be
the Second Coming.

--Tim May

--
(This .sig file has not been significantly changed since 1992. As the
election debacle unfolds, it is time to prepare a new one. Stay tuned.)