CDR: RE: Arthur Anderson black-bagged, NIPC now spooking

Ernest Hua ernest at luminousnetworks.com
Wed Nov 29 14:38:17 PST 2000

> > (BTW, there is little discussion of the commercial espionage aspects
> > of Carnivore. I know that Intel must be thrilled at the prospect that
> > a Carnivore box attached to some node that their traffic flows
> > through will suck up all of _Intel's_ traffic. With luck, it will
> > convince companies like Intel and Microsoft to much more widely
> > deploy crypto for communications which might be intercepted by
> > Carnivores.)
>
> Carnivore is a toy compared to other commercial tools already out there.
> Look at the products from MuTek for example, their 'black box' technology
> was done for the CIA.

Probably true.  Just take a look at the publically advertised info from
AST and other NSA supplies, and Carnivore really is just a toy.  The claim
that this is just a way to test the legal waters (which NSA is generally
protected from) has a lot of merit.  If this is really the best the FBI can
do, I want my tax dollars back.

Ern