CDR: Re: Imagine

Ken Brown k.brown at ccs.bbk.ac.uk
Tue Nov 28 04:04:11 PST 2000

Anonymous wrote:

> No User <no.user at anon.xg.nu> wrote:
>
> > A history professor from Uppsala Universitet in Sweden, called to
> > tell me about this article she had read
>
> Uppsala Universitet has no female history professors. Sorry.

And what's more some of these non-existent female professors even have
web pages.  Sorry.

If you've got to debunk a story, at least do the research.
http://www.uu.se/Adresser/Directory/HS.html#HS (Economic History)
http://www.uu.se/Adresser/Directory/deps/HH8.html (History)

I can find at least 2 (& possibly 4,  I'm not sure which names are
women) women with the title "Prof.".

Anyway, in the US "professor" means just about any University teacher or
researcher. Here in the UK (& I think also in Sweden) it is either an
honorary title given to a small number of very senior people, or else
the head of a department (the word is used differently in different
institutions), or sometimes the holder of one of a small number of
prominent non-teaching posts. Uppsala has large numbers of female
"Doktorand", who I presume are what here in England we'd call
"lecturer." For most of the readers of this list, they would be
"professor".

Ken (who can overhear some female history professors talking as he
types)