CDR: Re: Minesweeper and defeating modern encryption technology

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Sat Nov 4 08:41:53 PST 2000

It's been a long time since my computer science classes. But I'll give
it a shot.

The general name for this topic is complexity theory, the study of
how inherently difficult certain classes of problems are to solve.

Perhaps a not unreasonable summary would be problems in the class "P"
can be solved in deterministic polynomial time. Some of these would
include problems like simple sorting of strings that your OS does
whenever it displays files in a directory.

"NP" problems, on the other hand, are those that can be solved in
nondeterministic polynomial time (think only by guessing). NP
includes P.

Of relevance to our discussion is that factoring is a NP problem.
Much of modern cryptography relies on factoring being a "hard" problem.
If it is not, things will get interesting quickly. :)

Arnold Reinhold has another view here, saying P=NP is not relevant
to crypto:
http://world.std.com/~reinhold/p=np.txt

-Declan

(PS: don't use the toad.com address)