The Cost of California Liberalism

Bill Stewart bill.stewart at pobox.com
Sun Dec 17 22:33:22 PST 2000

At 08:35 AM 12/17/00 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
>The reality is the NW people got what they deserved. They voted to use the
>Cali. power grid instead of their own.
>
>No injustice or wrong has occured here because everyone got a say. You
>reap what you sow.

It's a market thing, or as liberals would say, it's about sharing.
Power generation capacity on the West Coast normally balances
between California air conditioning in the summer and
Northwest heating in the winter, and if each area had enough
capacity for all its needs, the system would be way overbuilt.
I don't know if Northwesters are as aggressive Not In My Back Yarders
as Californians about building power plants, but it's much more
efficient to use a power grid.  Except, of course, when you
overload it and stress the capacity limits and have stuff catch
fire in the summer...

Besides, Jim, as a Texan your tradition role in discussions of
natural gas policies is supposed to be to say
"let the bastards freeze in the dark" :-)
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart at pobox.com